Round and About
Whilst Golant has street names it does not have street signs !There is
however a village Map situated at the bottom of water lane near the village
Water Lane, School Hill, Church Hill, Gumms Lane, Downs Lane, Fore Street
are the main streets. There is also a Cowshit Lane , an old drovers road
though clean today. Post still finds its way to this address.
The Village Green has a children’s playground and is situated on
the north foreshore. It is the venue for the village carnival held
each August and also for special occasions such as the Queens
At the South end of the village green is the Human Sundial,
designed crafted and built by villagers out of local slate in
celebration of the millennium
The Reading Room
In 1902 there was a parish library of some 200 books and by 1903 the parish had its own
reading room the generous gift of a Mr and Mrs Mills of Torfrey. The opening on 12th January
1903 was an important occasion for the Parish and the Bishop of Truro was present. The room
now serves as the village hall.
Castledore is situated on the Lostwithiel to Fowey road, the B3269, just before the left turning
in to Golant. Evidence from excavation suggests that the site was occupied from about 100BC.
At first it is understood that there was an open village of rectangular huts but later defence
walls about 3 metres high and two ditches more than three metres deep were created. The
site is one of the highest in the area at 126 metres above sea level. Castledore was known as a
palace of Cornish Kings. The name has been said to refer to the golden colour of the gorse that
still grows on the site today. A decisive battle in the civil war was fought at Castledore on 31st
August 1644. King Charles had been pushing the parliamentarians further west and loyalists in
the extreme west were marching eastwards. The parliamentary forces made a stand but were
routed and surrendered the following day.